Photo Of The Day

Pig Worships In Front of Temple

On the Fourth day of the Chinese New Year of the Sheep, a pig stole the show in front of a temple in Tatou village, Yongjia Bridge Town, Wenzhou province, clearly doing the gesture of worshiping by kneeling. Onlookers were moved by its gesture, chanting a buddhist mantra for the pig. Onlookers presumed that the pig hoped to gain a human body in the next life, so he or she could obtain the Buddhist teachings.

A video of the pig worshipping, was uploaded by a Chinese blogger the next day and attracted 7.7million viewers in the first 24 hours.

Some people tried to move the pig away, but the pig did not want to leave the temple, and kept kneeling. So monks in the temple came out and conducted a Buddhist ceremony for the pig, praying for a better after-life.

After the monks completed the ceremony for the pig, the pig left.


2 days later, the owner of the pig, Mr Huang alerted the media that it was one of his three pigs that ran away on Sunday morning, He found the three pigs later in the day, and sent them to the abbattoir that evening! He was so surprised and regretted his action after watching the TV news....but was too late. Mr Huang said that he would not have sent it to be killed if he knew what had happened in front of temple.

But some people said that the pig might be better off now as its wish maybe fulfilled.?

This leads to an old news report in China in 1923.

Woman Badly Injured by Exploding Computer Chair PDF Print E-mail
Real China
Yu Tang   

On 11th May,  24 year old Ms. Liu in Xiamen, Fujian of China, was sitting in front of her computer when her air-lift chair suddenly 'exploded'.

She suffered terrible injuries to her lower body from thick iron springs; scattered screws, and her intestines and vagina were pierced by steel rod.

According to Dongnan Daily News, doctors at Zhongshan Hospital removed over 20 pieces of steel from Ms Liu's body and she is now out of danger.

Ms Liu's younger brother, Liu Xiao showing the chair that exploded. (screenshot)

Some of the metal pieces removed from Ms. Liu’s body by surgeons. (screenshot)

Liu Xiao recalled the horrible incident: about 9:45pm on 11th, his sister had just had a shower, and sat in front of her computer to dry her hair with a hair dryer. Less than 30 seconds later, the chair exploded. His sister whispered "pain, pain..." and then lost consciousness.

Liu Xiao continued: "The explosion was so powerful that the computer screen has melted. Luckily this steel rod had not gone too deep into her body, otherwise it would have been fatal!"

Unable to trace manufacturer

The chair only had  a "Xingqiang" sticker on one of the legs, but no information about the manufacturer.

Neighbors told Dongnan news, that they thought it was a gas stove explosion. One of the neighbours even called the emergency to inform them of a gas stove explosion. When they found out was the chair explosion, they were even more concerned as they think that the chair from where they working place is the similar type.

According to Dongnan Daily News that a person from within the industry revealed that there are 3 types of air-lifti chairs on the market: hydraulic pressured, mechanical and gas pressured. The majority of the low cost product range is gas pressured. But some manufacturers even just fill with high pressured air to lower the costs, and that will be likely to cause an explosion.

The Liu family told Chinese media, they had found the shop where they bought the chair, but since they have not kept the receipt, they may not able to seek legal compensation for this tragedy.

Change my chair now!

After the news spread on the web, many office workers immediately changed their airlift chairs to simple chairs. (Screenshot from Dongnan Daily News)

Many more cases in the past!

Chair explosion in China is not new and there are a number of reports of previous chair explosions:

1. On 20th April, 2007, in Dinghai district, Zhoushan town of Zhejiang province, the chair on which Ms. Lou was sitting exploded; plastic pieces, timber splinters, and metal washers pieced her body to a depth of 100mm deep.

2. On 26th November 2007, a 68 years old man was badly injured in similar circumstances.

3. On 26th March 2008, the chair in front of Mr Lin's computer suddenly exploded while Lin was beside it. Mr. Lin's back and arms were injured and an 150mm long steel rod was ejected and hit the ceiling.

4. On 14th January 2009,  in Jiaozuo,  Shandong province, a 14 year old boy, Xiao Gang (not his real name) was killed by his exploding chair.

Doctors  told the media that similar explosions had happened on 3 occasions in that month.



Change font size

Banned Books

The 'Taboo' Show

The Reality

Related Items

Voice of Chinese


Open Forum